So how does it work?
Well let me share a little something I learned in chemistry:
Oil dissolves oil. That's right. The best way to dissolve a non-polar solvent like oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition, like other oils.
The key ingredient is castor oil (although I've read some blogs where people have found hazelnut oil to work). It dissolves the dirt and toxic oil that is stuck in your pores. However, it must be balanced with a moisturizing oil that will nourish your skin (olive and sunflower seem to work the best for most people, but you could try another natural vegetable oil). Castor oil by itself will dry out your skin. The great thing is, oil cleansing can be used to help all skin types because essentially you are detoxing your pores and helping to balance your natural oil production.
Some suggestions in creating your blend of deep cleansing oil:
- Oily Skin: Try a blend of 30% Castor Oil to 70% Olive or Sunflower Seed Oil.
- Balanced Skin: Try a blend of 20% Castor Oil to 80% Olive or Sunflower Seed Oil.
- Dry Skin: Try a blend of 10% Castor Oil to 90% Olive or Sunflower Seed Oil.
- I also add a few drops of tea tree oil to my blend.
- There is no need to wash your face before you start. It works best if your skin is not wet and it will also remove any makeup. Pour about a quarter size amount of the oil blend on your palm and rub your hands together to warm it. Massage the oil into your dry face using smooth circular strokes (this is a wonderful face massage). Massage for at least a minute (two minutes is better) or until you are sure that the oil has saturated your skin. You can even leave the oil on the skin for up to 10 minutes to do a deep cleansing.
- Place a clean washcloth under hot water until it is completely soaked and quickly wring it out. The wash cloth should be hot but not enough to burn your skin. Place it over your face and the steam will remove the oils and any impurities in the skin. Leave the wash cloth on for about a minute, or until it cools. Repeat if needed with the other side of the washcloth and then use the corners of the washcloth to gently remove any remaining oil. There will still be a thin layer of oil on the skin and this is beneficial.
- Typically, no moisturizer is needed, but if you still have dry skin, you can add more olive or sunflower into the blend.