- 1 cup black rice
- About 4 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds
- Agave or honey for serving
- Salt for serving
1. Soak the rice in warm water for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain. See benefits and instructions on soaking rice here: Soaking to increase digestion and mineral absorption
2. In a blender or food processor, grind the black rice with 1 cup of the water, adding more water a tablespoon at a time if needed. Add the sesame seeds and process until the mixture becomes a chunky paste, adding more water if needed.
3. Put the black rice and sesame mixture in a pot and stir in about 3 cups water. Let simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up any lumps as needed. Reduce the heat and let simmer an additional 10 to 15 minutes, stirring more frequently as the porridge thickens. It should be the consistency of oatmeal. You can eat it like this, but I love the smooth consistency when you purée it in a blender or food processor.
Serve warm with agave or honey and a pinch of salt. Traditionally, Koreans make this dish with white rice, but black rice adds extra antioxidants and fiber.
It love eating juk because it makes me all warm inside and feel like a happy baby. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ!!!