Ingredients:1 1/2 cup rolled oats (if you are gluten free, make sure you get the gluten free oats)
6 Tablespoons chia or flax seed meal
4 Tablespoons whole psyllium husks (or 3 Tbls powdered psyllium husks)
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional, I just like to add this to things for it amazing benefits)
1 3/4 cup soaked or sprouted lentils (I used red), (instructions: Sprouting seeds, legumes, grains...)
1 cup kefir (dairy or dairy free) (instructions: Making Kefir) if you don't have kefir, plain yogurt will also work
1/2 cup hot water (you want to the dough to be warm as it sits so I suggest adding hot water since the kefir is probably cold from the fridge)
2 Tablespoons sweetener (honey, maple syrup, date syrup, agave)
1. Combine the oats, chia/flax seed meal, psyllium husks, salt, and turmeric in a bowl and mix well.
2. Optional: I didn't want whole lentils in my bread so I pureed the lentils and kefir together in the blender, but this is not necessary. The psyllium husks will hold the bread together even if there are whole lentils. It will also add some more texture if you keep the lentils whole.
3. Add the hot water, sweetener, lentils and kefir to the dry ingredients and mix everything together really well. I recommend use your hands because it is easier and more fun!
4. Let it sit overnight on the counter, covered with a towel. Letting it soak for 24 hours is best because not only will the flavor enhance, but it will also be more nutritious and digestible. Compared to other grains, oats have one of the highest amounts of phytic acid, so it is important to soak them for 24 hours. To learn more about this, read: Soaking to increase digestion and mineral absorption.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees F. I didn't use a bread pan because it took the shape of the square container I soaked it in. I just took it out of the container and placed it on a cookie sheet and baked it like that. It formed a really nice crispy crust. It was so delicious toasted with home made sauerkraut and kefir cheese! Or with apples, cinnamon, and almond butter. Whatever you are in the mood for.